Following up on it summer 2013 program, the Meiji University Japanese Language Education Center will offer a short-term Japanese Language Program in winter 2014.
The program cultivates study of Japanese language, culture and society from various aspects.
Highly motivated participants can expect Meiji University’s up-to-date educational, media and support facilities to meet their every need. Japanese students will support your study of Japanese and join various events with you.
Why not come to central Tokyo and Meiji University this winter to learn “living” Japanese and Japanese culture?
Get ready for the exciting new experience that awaits you!
Application Period: 2 September <Mon>
13 February <Thu>
Undergraduate or Graduate students
Japanese Language Program has been selected as one of Student Exchange Support Programs (Scholarship for Short-term Study in Japan) sponsored by JASSO.
Meiji University will offer a scholarship on the last day of the program to participants who are either undergraduate or graduate students of Meiji University’s partner institution and meet requirements set by JASSO.
After applying for the program we will send the application materials to your e-mail address within 2 weeks. To apply for the scholarship, applicants need Official Transcript of the previous semester (With seal of your university on it. It has to be written in Japanese or English.)
Please be advised that JASSO’s final decision if the applicants can grant the scholarship or not will be done at end of January 2014. We cannot inform if applicants can grant the scholarship or not before paying the fee of the program.
Beginner’s 1 Class:
For students with very basic knowledge of Japanese who can read Hiragana and Katakana. Can understand and use the basic Japanese. JLPT N5 level.
Beginner’s 2 Class:
For students with basic knowledge of Japanese, able to understand and use beginner’s level Japanese.
JLPT N4 level.
Intermediate 1 Class:
For students understanding beginner’s level Japanese and who have started studying intermediate level Japanese. JLPT N3 preparatory level.
Intermediate 2 Class:
For students understanding Japanese which is used in everyday situation for a certain degree. JLPT N2 preparatory level.
*JLPT: Japanese Language Proficiency Test
*The class will be decided at the placement test conducted on the orientation.
Number of Participants
(13-15 students/class. A class will be cancelled if there are fewer than the minimum required number of participant. )
- Japanese Language Class (45min×42classes)
- Field Study/Activity (3hours×2times)
*We will issue certificates of completion to the participants of the program.
Undergraduate and graduate students of Meiji University will support throughout the program. They will join the Japanese class and accompany the participants to the field study and activity.
Offering an opportunity to communicate with students on the same generation is a big feature of this program and attracts favorable comment from participants from the past year program.
Supporting the affected areas hit by the earthquake and tsunami through sending the picture books
In the program participants will study about the earthquake and tsunami which hit Japan on March 11, 2011. Participants will send a picture book with a letter to the kindergarten located in the affected areas to support the areas and the people.
We would like to ask your cooperation to bring the picture book (no second hand book) from your country with you and help the post-quake reconstruction.
|13 February Thursday||14 February Friday||15 February Saturday||16 February Sunday|
|AM||Check in at the accomodation||Placement Test, Orientation||Japanese 1,2,3,4||OFF|
|PM||Welcome Party||Japanese 5,6
Party with Japanese Students
|17 February Monday||18 February Tuesday||19 February Wednesday||20 February Thursday||21 February Friday||22 February Saturday||23 February Sunday|
|AM||Japanese 7,8,9,10||Japanese 13,14,15,16||Japanese 17,18,19,20||Japanese 23,24,25,26||Japanese 27,28,29,30||OFF||OFF|
|PM||Japanese 11,12||Field Study/ Activity 1||Japanese 21,22||Field Study/ Activity 2||Japanese 31,32|
|24 February Monday||25 February Tuesday||26 February Wednesday||27 February Thursday|
|AM||Japanese 33,34,35,36||Japanese 37,38,39,40||Japanese 43,44(Final Presentation),||Check out of the accomodation|
|PM||Closing Ceremony Farewell Party|
|Fee||Course A: Program Fee + Hotel
*20 minute commute by train and walking
*Check-in: 13 February, Check Out: 27 February
*Meals not included
|Course B: Program Fee + Homestay
*60-90 minute commute by train and walking / bus
*Check-in: 13 February, Check Out: 27 February
*Breakfast and dinner included
|Course C: Program Fee only
*Students who need assistance obtaining the visa cannot choose this course.
*Meiji University will not arrange your accommodation . Please find by yourself.
|*Program Fee includes:
Tuition, field-trips, educational materials
*Does not include:
Accomodation fee, airfare, domestic travel expenses, insurance, meals and other living expenses
*We may not be able to arrange the homestay due to your special requirements or circumstances. In that case, we will inform you one month before the program starts.
Homestay Company will arrange a hotel instead and extra charges will be added. It is different from Course A's hotel.
*You cannot change the course after paying the fee.
- Please apply online from this website
- To decide which class is appropriate for you, please take Online Japanese Level Check Test. Meiji University will send you the information about the test to the e-mail address that you have registered. Please take the test within one week. (Scheduled date of sending the Japanese Level Check Test: 15-18 October, 2013)
- Applicants will be informed of the application result and the payment procedure via E-mail by middle of November. The due date of the payment will be within 7 days after receiving the e-mail.
- After the payment, we will send the homestay application form to students who have applied homestay. Please send it to the homestay agency.
Please be advised that once your application has been accepted and you have paid the fee, the following cancellation policy applies.
If you notify Meiji University in e-mail by:
・Nov 15, 2013 (Fri) <Japan Time> you will be reimbursed for 100% of the fees.
・Jan 15, 2014 (Wed) <Japan Time>you will be reimbursed for 50% of the fees.
・Feb 5, 2014 (Wed) <Japan Time>you will be reimbursed for 20% of the fees.
・Feb 6, 2014(Thu) <Japan Time>you will not be reimbursed of the fees.
- The cancellation policy applies for any reason whatsoever.
- Any handling or service fees incurred for refunding the fee will be borne by the applicant.
- It will take 2-3 months to reimburse the program fees.
Meiji University will not provide assistance in obtaining a visa except in the case of students of Meiji University’s partner institutions.
Please check the website of Ministry of foreign affairs before applying the program.
* Cancellation policy will also apply for the cancel for not being able to take obtain the visa. Please confirm about the visa before paying for the program.
- In the event that maximum capacity has been reached for a particular class or program, you may be unable to enroll.
- The program schedule printed on the promotional leaflet may be subject to change.
- Participants in the program are required to purchase at their own expense traveler’s insurance to cover the period of their stay in Japan. Please Submit the copy of insurance certificate before the arrival.
Japanese Language Education Center/ International Student Office, Meiji University