Since 2016, School of Science and Technology（STJ）, Meiji University has been offering a short-term summer program "Science and Technoilogy in Japan" for undergraduate students from our partner universities overseas in July.
In this program students can learn fundamentals of Japanese technology in the field of mechanical engineering, architecture, applied chemistry, mathematics and Physics. The latest application guideline for the next year will be available around January.
Find more details on Application Guidelines 2020
You can also register "Online application Form" here.（Closed）
*You can obtain the designated form of "Statement of Purpose" here.（Closed）
(1) Preliminary study
(2) Lectures and site visits (The schedule is subject to change.)
23th June: Orientation, Introduction to Japanese culture
25th June: Lectures/ site visit on Applied Chemistry
26th June: Lectures/ site visit on Mechanical Engineering 1
27th June: Lectures/ site visit on Mechanical Engineering 2
29th June: Lectures/ site visit on Architecture
30th June: Lectures/ site visit on Mathematics
1st July: Introduction of Science and Technology in Japan 2 and lectures by students graduated the masters program
2st July: Final presentation and discussion
[Examples of past site visit ]
2017 AY: University of Tokyo, JFE Steel Co., Toshiba Fuchu Complex, Fixters
2018 AY: National Institute for Materials Science, Nissan Yokohama Plant, Anritsu Infivis
2019 AY: National Institute for Materials Science
(3) Final report
-Meals: About 20,000-30,000 JPY
-Domestic transportation: About 20,000 JPY
(1) Application Criteria
1) be an undergraduate student registered in Meiji University’s partner institution during the whole period of the program.
2) be in the second grade or higher in undergraduate level at the time when the program starts.
3) be recommended by their home university.
4) attend the program through the whole period.
5) be confirmed by home university that they have a sufficient English proficiency to attend the classes and make the necessary administrative procedures.
6) to have an approval of their physician before applying for the program if they have chronic disease or any pre-existing conditions.
(2) How to Apply
(3) Application Period
(4) Acceptable Total Number of Participants
*Listed according to distance from Ikuta Campus.
== Near Shin-yurigaoka Station ==
(5 minites and 154 JPY to Ikuta Station by local train of Odakyu Line)
(19 min and 216 JPY to Ikuta by local train of Odakyu Line)
(26 min and 250 JPY to Ikuta by local train)
(21 min and 278 JPY to Ikuta Station by express and local trains of Odakyu Line)
(40 min and 426 JPY to Ikuta by local train of JR Nanbu Line)
1) Must hold nationality of countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan. Taiwan (ROC) and Palestine are included. Those who have Japanese nationality at the time of application are NOT acceptable.
2) Needs to be already accepted by Meiji University based on student exchange cooperation agreement etc.
3) Demonstrates excellent academic and personal records in the home university. The student’s grade of the previous academic year must be equal or over 2.30 out of 3.00 which is calculated by the JASSO GPA formula. If there is no last academic year evaluation, previous semester grade score will be used.
4) Needs this scholarship to attend the program for financial reason.
5) Needs to return to the home university after completing the program and continue his or her studies to obtain a degree.
6) If a student receives another scholarship (including Meiji University and the home university) to participate the program, the total amount of the support (excluding air fare, scholarship loan, and academic loan) should not exceed 80 thousand per month.
*If the number of applicants are more than acceptable number for the scholarship, selection will be conducted according to their academic grade. Successful applicants will be finalized by JASSO. Result will be notified in May through your home university.