Round-table discussion

Having many motivated students is a strength particular to a newly established school.

KANISE  First of all, could you please tell me the reason why you chose the School of Global Japanese Studies?

YUASA  The main reason was that I wanted to study English thoroughly. Since enrolling I have been stimulated by my teachers and fellow students, so that now I am considering studying abroad. This summer I would like to participate in the Disney World internship program.

KANISE  On this program you can study entertainment management while working at Disney World in Florida. Actually, I was the one who started this internship program. I think the School of Global Japanese Studies was probably the first school in Japan to systematically implement such a program.

RECEP In the future, I want to become a photojournalist, and so I chose this school because I can study the media here. I came to like Japan due to the influence of Japanese friends I met in my native country, Turkey, and in New Zealand, where I was studying abroad. At the moment, I am most interested in martial arts and Japanese camera technology.

TANABE  I chose this school because I am interested in subcultures. Previously, I had an image that vocational college was where you went to study manga comics and subcultures, but I wanted to study not just the technical aspects but also the history and background that gave birth to that culture as an academic discipline. Nowadays, subcultures are a part of Japanese culture that Japan should take pride in, and so being able to study about these fields at Meiji University is, I think, very important from the standpoint of considering Japan of the future as well.

KANISE  There was a symposium on subcultures the other day, too. At the School of Global Japanese Studies nowadays various student-centered events are being held, and I am amazed by their energy.

RECEP  Japanese students and international students eat lunch together and events are also held to deepen exchanges.

KANISE  Since the School of Global Japanese Studies is still a new school, this is probably the result of bringing together students with pioneering spirits who naturally think, “Let’s do something new!” With a new year of students enrolling, the older and younger students seem to be providing good stimulation for each other, so consequently, I feel that their sense of adventure has strengthened even more. This is also a merit of spending four years on the same campus. I’m looking forward to seeing what chemical reactions will occur in the future as the number of students in the school increases even further.

Campus Life Itself is a Forum for “International Cultural Exchange”

YUASA  I enrolled in the School of Global Japanese Studies because I wanted to study English, but I was a bit surprised by the large number of English language classes.

KANISE  That’s because there are four times the number of English language classes than at other universities. The reason behind this is the desire for students to learn a range of things based on their English language proficiency. In future, I believe the standard will be to speak not just English but about three languages. The day will come when you’ll be glad you did this.

TANABE  Basic English classes have fixed members and are small in size, so a sense of comradeship develops naturally and communication becomes close. Not only that, since the environment ensures that Japanese students are studying alongside many international students, international exchange is part of everyday life. Talking to someone from another country makes you aware of stereotypes or misunderstandings you had of that country and can show you aspects of Japan that you were unaware of. Since you can view Japan through a broad, multifaceted perspective while still in Japan, every day is overflowing with fresh discoveries.

RECEP  An environment where you can become friends with students from various countries is truly enjoyable. I would be particularly happy if the number of students from Europe increased a little in the future.

KANISE  In 2011, the school is introducing an English Track that enables students to obtain all the credits required for graduation from courses taught in English. When that happens, the language barrier will disappear, and so I think students from an ever wider range of countries will enroll.

YUASA  I am studying in the School of Global Japanese Studies, and so I think it would be meaningless to graduate just saying “It was good to study about Japan.” In my first year, when I studied abroad in Canada, many people told me that “Japanese people are cheery and kind.” The ability to interact kindly with anyone is a wonderful virtue. Being able to convey the attractive aspects of Japan is, I think, what being an “international person” truly means, and that is what I myself would like to become.

KANISE  That is exactly right. I want all of you to have pride in the country of your birth, because without that you can’t make your way in the world.

Determination and Energy Cultivated Precisely Because of the School’s Freedom

KANISE  TANABE and YUASA, you are both third year students, and RECEP, you are a second year student; what are you all planning to do in the future?

RECEP  I intend to be a photojournalist. First of all, I want to find a job where I can convey information about Japan to Turkey while I’m in Japan. The Japanese social system, in particular, has lots of aspects that I think are superior to those in Turkey. By communicating these advantages of Japan, I hope to contribute to Turkey’s economic and cultural development.

KANISE  Of course, Turkey has its own unique appeal. Conversely, I am sure there is fascinating information about Turkey that should be communicated to Japan.

RECEP  Yes, there is. I would like to be a bridge between Japan and Turkey.

YUASA  I strongly want people around the world to know more about Japan and come to like and love Japan, and so I want to make this wish a reality through my hobby, which is travel. For that reason I am also considering working at a travel agency or somewhere similar. From the standpoint of communicating with people directly, I think that being a bus guide would also be interesting.

KANISE  I once participated in a Hato bus tour for foreign tourists, and it was a fascinating experience. The guide is explaining Japanese tourist attractions to foreigners, in English. As I listened I kept thinking, “So this is how you explain it!” It was very educational.

TANABE  I naturally want to be involved in soothing that I like, and so I am thinking about going into publishing or editing. In a recent lecture, I had the opportunity to hear the editor of a popular manga comic speak. Hearing about this profound world strengthened my plan for the future even more.

KANISE  It’s reassuring that you all seem to be thinking seriously about your futures. I want the students who enroll in this school to study and go out into society with the desire to “be someone who stands on their own feet, thinks with their own head, and acts proactively.” That is precisely why the school emphasizes freedom. With freedom, you inevitably come up against the wall of “What is it that I want to do?” and then you think for yourself, obtain the necessary knowledge and wisdom, and acquire the capacity to move forward on your own. This is what I regard as being the ideal university.

TANABE  Certainly, in this school you have the freedom to choose whatever you want to study and what direction you want to pursue. What dream you envision is entirely up to you and the efforts you make. I’d also recommend it to high school students who don’t yet have a vision for their future.

KANISE  That’s right. You don’t need to know right now what it is you want to do in the future. Actually, it’s the journey in search of that “something” you want to do that is the essence of life. What is important is not reaching the goal but the journey. What is important is how you enjoy the journey and how you overcome obstacles along the way. The School of Global Japanese Studies is, I think, a place overflowing with hints for making your journey a fulfilling one.

To TOP

駿河台キャンパス 〒101-8301 東京都千代田区神田駿河台1-1(代)03-3296-4545
和泉キャンパス 〒168-8555 東京都杉並区永福1-9-1(代)03-5300-1121
生田キャンパス 〒214-8571 神奈川県川崎市多摩区東三田1-1-1(代)TEL 044-934-7171
更新ページ一覧プライバシーポリシーこのサイトについて
© Meiji University, all rights reserved.
  © Meiji University,All rights reserved.