Top > Exchange Programs

Exchange Programs

Introduction for incoming students


The Graduate School of Business Administration (GSBA) is promoting the continued internationalization of education at Meiji University by encouraging home students to travel abroad and through proactively accepting international students in accordance with the the agreements between GSBA, the Meiji University School of Business Administration, and their overseas partners.

The exchange program at GSBA offers lectures in English; accepts students with minimum Japanese fluency; provides seminars in business administration and opportunities to gain insight into Japanese style management through discussions and presentations in a small classroom setting.

Students who have knowledge of the Japanese language are also welcome to apply, although Japanese language proficiency is not a requirement. However, depending upon the language capabilities of the student concerned, it may be possible for them to attend courses held in Japanese as well.


Prior to Application

Those applying as exchange students to GSBA must to be qualified under one of the three conditions below. Their application must also obtain approval from the faculty meeting of the School.

1) Completion of over one year of study at a graduate school.
2) Communicative ability in English or Japanese.
3) Qualification in the articles of the relevant exchange agreement and the selection criteria of the participating schools.

N.B. Students who are not fluent in Japanese must attend modules run in English.

The requirements for students applying to the exchange program at GSBA differ according to the partner university. Please direct all inquiries in the first instance to the relevant office of your home university.

Application Procedure

Students interested in applying to the exchange program at GSBA will need to submit the required documentation to Meiji University via the relevant office at your home university. Information on the documentation required and the deadlines for submission should again be confirmed at the home university before proceeding with the application.

Although there are differences in the number of students accepted and the timing of exchanges between GSBA's partner universities, in general there are two intakes of exchange students at Meiji in the Spring and Fall. For further details please contact the relevant office of your home university.

GSBA will thoroughly puruse the application documents of all applicants to determine whether they meet the necessary requirements of the School, and to ensure that a member of the faculty will be able to offer suitable supervision. An Acceptance Letter will be sent out to all successful candidates.

English Modules

Student Life


1. Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
According to Japanese immigration law, international students must obtain a valid student visa prior to entering Japan. In order to obtain this visa, students must first apply for a COE, which is an official document issued by the Japanese Ministry of Justice. GSBA requests all nominated exchange students to submit the application form for the COE along with other application documents.

GSBA will submit the application for the COE to the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau on behalf of successful candidates. It usually takes at least one month for the Immigration Bureau to issue the COE. After receiving the COE, GSBA will send this to the representative office of your home university. The COE should be submitted along with other visa application materials to your nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate.

2. Visa Status - ""College Student""
The status of your visa should be ""College Student"". This visa is usually issued within a few days after application submission. However, visa processing may require a week or more depending on your circumstances.


1. Accommodation
Students will most likely receive a room in one of the Meiji University dormitories for international students located in Tokyo. However, it should be noted that Meiji University may not be able to guarantee places at these dormitories due to the limited number of rooms available.

Alternatively, some students choose to live in apartments, which must be arranged independently. Students also have the option of participating on a homestay program offered by JTB.

Accommodation assignments will be made by the International Student Center of Meiji University. Students who wish to move out of their accommodation will be responsible for finding new premises. Further information on housing, along with other information about exchanges to Meiji University, is available in the 'International Student's Handbook 2013'. The link for which is found below.

2. Living Expenses
In order to participate on the exchange program at GSBA, all expenses other than tuition fees (normally exempted) must be bourne by the student themselves. Such expenses include rent, electricity, transportation, food and books. Students will also be liable for any other expenses they incur living in Tokyo. The minimum living expense for one month is on avergae between 100,000 - 120,000 yen. However, actual expenses varies between individuals.

For further details, please check the website of the International Student Center.

3. Part-time Jobs
Meiji University does not allow exchange students to have part-time jobs.

Page Top