SSL-VPN Connection Service
About Mobile Information Outlet Connection Service
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) makes use of network technology to connect any two points on the Internet in a way that makes an ordinary Internet link behave like a dedicated line, as if you were using a private instead of a public network.
When you use SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)-VPN Connection Service, even if you access the Internet from home, from overseas, or from any other off-campus location, you can connect in an environment that is similar to a direct line to the Meiji University network (MIND).
This lets you do things like the following.
- Access is possible to a computer of MIND Access Level 1 or 2 (levels that ordinarily cannot be accessed from networks outside the university).
- Web pages accessible only from the university's internal network (campus-only links) can be accessed.
Note: VPN access to some online library services and outside database services is prohibited due to contract restrictions. For details see "Services Using Outside Databases(Japanese)."
What Is Required for Using SSL-VPN Connection Service?
The following conditions must be met in order to use SSL-VPN Connection Service.
- Your PC must support SSL-VPN.
- With SSL-VPN, a web browser is used to make a VPN connection.
- See "Supported Platforms" in Related Links for OS and web browser support.
- You must be signed up with an Internet service provider (ISP) and already connected to the Internet.
SSL-VPN Connection Service is premised on your PC being connected to the Internet.
Account for Using SSL-VPN Connection Service
SSL-VPN Connection Service can be used with a Common Authentication System Account.
Students and faculty already have a Common Authentication System Account and need no further procedures when using SSL-VPN Connection Service. Note that students, however, must have attended MIND orientation.
Persons not having a Common Authentication System Account (mainly research promoters, research assistants, and visiting fellows) will need to apply separately for a MIND Mobile Account. See here
Procedures for Use
- Perform setup operation on PC.
For reference: PC Setup and SSL-VPN Connection Procedures
- Establish an SSL-VPN connection.
- Connect the PC to your ISP.
- After connecting, launch a web browser on your PC and connect to the Meiji University SSL-VPN server ( https://sslvpn.mind.meiji.ac.jp/ ).
- Enter the user name for the account used for an SSL-VPN connection (Common Authentication System Account or MIND Mobile Account).
- Once authentication is complete, click Start on the Network Connect menu.
- When an SSL-VPN connection is successfully established, the PC will be able to make use of the same services as one connected directly to the MIND network in the university.
- Access campus-only links, etc.
- Access MIND Access Level 1 and 2 servers (file sharing, ssh, ftp, etc.)
Technical Information about SSL-VPN Connection Service
|SSL-VPN server URL
||Common Authentication System Account (or MIND Mobile Account)
||Selected automatically (does not need to be designated)
- Guidebook for MIND Users: SSL-VPN Connection Service
- Supported Platforms (http://www.juniper.net/)
- OS and web browser versions supporting the university's SSL-VPN system. See the "Network Connect" section.