Go Forward

Employment situation of foreign international students

In recent years the number of foreign students at Meiji University who wish to put to use the knowledge and skills they have acquired here and stay in Japan and work in Japanese corporations after graduation has been increasing. Many businesses too increasingly want to hire foreigners who have graduated as international students as globalization increases, with businesses expanding overseas, etc.

How to go about finding employment

How foreign students go about finding employment is basically the same as for Japanese students during the early period. First, it is important to gather information. It is possible to do this using many websites and services. Some of these are listed below.

  • Employment Services Center for Foreigners
    This is a public service with centers in Tokyo and Osaka set up to serve foreigners such as international students who wish to find work in specialist skilled areas.

  • Gakusei Shokugyo Center
    This is an outpost agency of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare’s Hello Work agency which has one office in each prefecture to help students find work.

  • International Foreign Student Association Employment Information Center
    This is a center run by the IFSA to assist foreign students in Japan with job hunting. After registering with them it is possible to receive information on many companies.
As well as these, we will be happy to tell you about the many websites which specialize in assisting foreigners with finding work in Japan, so please pop into the Employment/Career Support Office. We will also be able to provide you with information on job-openings for foreign students, information files on companies and magazines with job information.

When job-hunting begins

The process of making contact with companies, entry sheets, and visiting companies is basically the same as with Japanese students. It would be best to be well versed in Japanese etiquette when it comes to telephone calls and visits to companies. Also, we have prepared below a short list of questions which are often asked at interviews.

  • Why did you decide to come to Japan as an international student?
  • What have you learned in Japan?
  • Why do you want to work in Japan?
  • Do you want to work in Japan long term?
  • When you have acquired professional skills do you plan on returning to your home country?
  • How well can you use Japanese, English, etc?
  • Questions about your work history and advertising your own strong points.

When a job offer is received

It will be necessary to change your student visa to a work visa at the Immigration Bureau in order to qualify for work. If you are late with this, all your job-hunting efforts will be in vain and you will have to return to your home country, so we urge you to be careful about this. When you go through the procedures of changing your visa status you will need many forms. These forms will include your graduation certificate or a certificate of your expected graduation, which you mustn’t forget to obtain from your university. Please also submit your “job offer memorandum” and “job hunting report” to the Employment/Career Support Center.